Friday, February 3, 2017

Teen Idol - Bobby Rydell at Bay Shores

Robert Ridarelli – aka Bobby Rydell’s autobiography -

Teen Idol on the Rocks – A Tale of Second Chances (with Allan Slutsky, Doctor Licks Publishing, Cherry Hill, N.J., 08022) p. 31-35:

“There’s a common misconception among outsiders that if you grew up in South Philadelphia during the ‘50s, you must have been on a first-name basis with all the homegrown neighborhood heroes: Mario Lanza, Eddie Fisher, Joey Bishop, Jack Klugman, James Darren, Fabian, David Brenner, Al Martino, Frankie Avalon…who live only a few blocks away from me, but I never got to know them until after my own career was in full swing. The lone exception to all these missed relationships was Frankie Avalon. We both shared similar beginnings as performers…”


“My new drums couldn’t have arrived at a more perfect time because I was starting to get gigs as a drummer. One of them came from Frankie Avalon, and would prove to be a turning point for me. Cheech – that was my nickname for him – was in a band called Rocco and the Saints. One night, they were booked as the opening act at a very popular club in Somers Point, New Jersey, called Bayshores. Chippie Peters, the band’s drummer, was ill so Cheech asked me to fill in, sing a few tunes and do my usual imitations and comedy. The headliner that night was a prominent local act named Billy Duke and the Dukes, whose bass player was known as Frankie Day. (His real name was Francesco Cocchi). Frankie must have liked what he saw and heard because he approached me after our set and said he’d like to manage me. I had no idea what that even meant so I just said, ‘Talk to my dad. It was the summer of 1957.” 

No comments: